Post-Divorce Enforcement

The terms of a divorce decree are meant to be binding on both parties.  However, the parties do not always act in accordance with these terms.  Most often issues of enforcement are related to provisions concerning child support, maintenance, or visitation.  Petitions to enforce these provisions are generally heard in the Family Court.  However, there are some provisions of a divorce that cannot be heard before a Family Court Judge.  For example, if the parties agreed or were ordered to sell real property, but one party is refusing to do so, this issue would be outside of the Family Court’s jurisdiction.

A party’s failure to comply with a court order can lead to contempt and possible jail time.

For more information concerning the enforcement of your divorce please contact Ross S. Gelber at 716-632-5919 or at